This page is also available
in the following languages
Español I 中文版
I Pусская версия I Italiano
I 한국어 I Kreyòl ayisyen
Video: STAR Registration
Demo: STAR Registration
Video: Q&A on STAR Registration
Video: Preguntas y Respuestas
sobre Inscripción en STAR
*The December 31 deadline has passed, but we are accepting late registrations
Register immediately to keep your Basic STAR exemption
Receiving Basic STAR but haven't registered yet? Act now before we notify your assessor to remove the exemption.
- Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption are not affected by the new registration requirement. Learn more.
- New homeowners applying for the Basic STAR exemption do need to register this year. Learn more.
Complete your registration online in just two to four minutes. You'll just need to:
- provide your STAR code (from the letter we sent or by using our STAR code lookup),
- provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses, and
- answer a few questions about the income and residency of the owners and their spouses.
- OR -
You can register by calling (518) 457-2036:
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
What's Basic STAR and why do I need to register?
The Basic STAR exemption saves homeowners $700 each year on average.
- The STAR exemption is available for owner-occupied, primary residences where the combined income of resident owners and their spouses is $500,000 or less.
- All homeowners receiving a Basic STAR property tax exemption must register with the New York State Tax Department in order to receive the exemption in year 2014 and after.
- This registration requirement is not satisfied by your original application to your local assessor.
For more information