Update your roll file with STAR credit recipients
Assessors and county real property tax (RPT) directors
Before the processing of school tax bills
To notify STAR credit recipients that they will receive a check instead of the exemption, the STAR credit program requires specific language to appear on tax bills. As a result of changes in the 2017-18 Enacted State Budget, the language now reads:
An estimated STAR check will be mailed to you upon issuance by the NYS Tax Department. Any overpayment or underpayment can be reconciled on your next tax return or STAR credit check.
Note that because tax bills no longer include the dollar amount of the STAR credit, there is no need to indicate whether the property owner will receive the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. Therefore, only the 99999 code is necessary to designate property owners who will receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit.
To simplify the process of adding STAR credit recipients to your roll file, we’re providing you with a utility and downloadable report. If you don’t add the STAR credit code or description to parcels on your roll file, the required language will not appear on tax bills.
After the lists for your municipality become available based on this timeline:
- Access the lists from the Online Assessment Community. (See User tips for the Online Assessment Community.) If you have additional staff needing access to the secure website, please request an account.
- After you log in, select STAR eligibility. You’ll find the STAR credit reports and associated instructions to the right under STAR credit program.
- Select STAR credit program and agree to the security contract.
- Choose your assessing unit, and select the STAR credit reports.
- From the reports link, the following options are available:
- STAR credit bulk update transaction file: We strongly recommend that RPSV4 users employ this option. Download and save this file for use with the STAR Credit Update utility. It will programmatically update exemption fields with “marker exemption codes” for those parcels that will receive a STAR credit check.
- STAR credit viewable or downloadable report: Preserve a copy of this file as a record of this year’s STAR credit recipients. Localities that do not use RPSV4 may also use this file to update their roll file with parcels that will receive a STAR check directly from the state.
Contact your ORPTS Regional Liaisons.
- STAR Credit Implementation Guide
- Step-by-step guide to the STAR credit process
- Contact information for local officials
- Timelines for local officials: