Most New York State taxpayers can e-file their returns. If you earned $64,000 or less last year, you can Free File using brand name software accessed through our website. If you earned more, you can purchase approved commercial software or use a paid tax preparer to e-file your return.
Forms you can e-file
Almost every personal income tax return can be e-filed, including:
- resident, nonresident, and part-year resident returns;
- returns for tax years 2014, 2015, and 2016;
- 2015 and 2016 amended returns; and
- Form IT-2105, Estimated Tax Payment Voucher for Individuals.
Acknowledgment that the department received your return
Your filing software will issue confirmation that the New York State Tax Department received and accepted your return.
A small percentage of e-filed returns have errors. If your return has an error and is not accepted, your software company will notify you and identify the error so you can fix it. You can resubmit the corrected return electronically. See Correcting a mistake on an e-filed return for more information.
Copy of your e-filed New York State tax return
Do not mail a copy of your return to the Tax Department.
Keep a copy of your completed return with your other tax documents (for example, Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, and 1099-R). You will need this information for verification purposes if you need to contact us.
You can receive your refund twice as fast when you choose direct deposit as your refund method. It's the fastest way to get your tax refund. To avoid delays, provide us with, and confirm, your bank account and routing numbers on your e-filed return.
You may also select to receive your refund as a check when you e-file your return.
If you would like to make an income tax return payment, you can pay:
- from your bank account, either:
- on your e-filed tax return—you can schedule your payment for any date up to and including the due date; or
- directly on our website through your Individual Online Services account. (Don't have an account? Create one.)
- by most major credit or debit cards through Online Services.
- by check or money order.
- Submit your payment with a completed Form IT-201-V, Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns.
If we find an error and reject your e-filed return:
- Correct the error that caused the rejection and any other errors you noticed after transmitting.
- Retransmit the corrected return.
If you find an error after we accepted your e-filed return:
- Correct your error.
- Submit an amended return.
Note: For tax years 2015 or 2016, you may e-file your amended return. For tax years prior to 2015, you must complete and mail an amended paper return. See How to change or amend a filed return.