Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Department of Taxation and Finance

Sooooooo close!

Sometimes, even when you try your best, things don't go as planned. Amending your New York State income tax return is the do-over you need to:

  • add something you forgot (like a W-2 from a part-time job),
  • claim a credit or deduction you missed, or
  • update your return to account for changes the IRS made to your federal return.

When you amend—using either Form IT-201-X or Form IT-203-X—it’s like filing a new state return.

Learn how to amend

What's New

Vapor products tax

Effective December 1, 2019, there is a new 20% supplemental sales tax and a registration requirement related to vapor products sold in New York State.

View requirements

Tax Tips for Individuals

We've created a brand new subscription topic, just for you: Tax Tips for Individuals. Review our resources and sign up to receive emails today!

Sign up

Opioid excise tax

There is an excise tax imposed on the first sale of an opioid unit in New York State.

Learn more

Featured in September

Missed a due date?

If you haven't filed and paid your tax, use our penalty and interest calculator to calculate your late filing and late payment penalties and interest.
Note: Only use this calculator if you're sending your late return and late payment together.

Learn about the Charitable Gifts Trust Fund

The FY 2019 Budget created a new Charitable Gifts Trust Fund in the joint custody of the New York State Commissioner of Taxation and Finance and the State Comptroller to accept donations for the purposes of improving health care and public education in New York State. If you're interested in making a contribution, review our guidance to learn more.