State Board of Real Property Tax Services
Next meeting - Wednesday, August 19, 2015
The webcasting page has information on Windows Media Player, accessibility and captioning.
State Board meeting information
Agenda, resolutions and approved minutes of the State Board may be accessed in the schedules below.
Email: State Board
Mail: New York State Board of Real Property Tax Services
NYS Department of Taxation and Finance
W.A. Harriman Campus
Building 9, Room 100
Albany, NY 12227
Phone: See Whom to Contact at ORPTS. General taxpayer questions should be directed to: (518) 591-5233.
Who makes up the State Board of Real Property Tax Services?
The State Board of Real Property Tax Services is a separate and independent Board within the Department of Taxation and Finance. It is comprised of five members who are appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate. Of those five members appointed by the Governor, one member must be engaged in the commercial production for sale of agricultural crops, livestock and livestock products. The Board members' eight-year terms are staggered so that no two members' terms expire in the same year. The Board chair is designated by the Governor. State Board members serve without pay, but are reimbursed for necessary expenses while on State Board business. There is currently one vacancy on the State Board.
The Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Real Property Tax Services serves as the Secretary of the State Board of Real Property Tax Services and is the executive officer for the Board.
What does the State Board of Real Property Tax Services do?
Chapter 56 of the Laws of 2010 changed certain powers and duties of the State Board. New section 200-A of the Real Property Tax Law outlines the Board's duties as:
- Determine final special franchise values and assessments, railroad ceilings and State equalization rates where a complaint is filed.
- Hear and determine reviews relating to determinations made by county equalization agencies.
- Hear and determine appeals from property owners who are dissatisfied with the Tax Department's final determination of STAR eligibility.
Who is the State Board?
Left to right: Edgar A. King, Matthew W. Rand (Chairman) and Judith A. Dagostino
- Judith A. Dagostino, a resident of Schenectady (Schenectady County), and former Chairwoman of the Schenectady County Legislature.
- Edgar A. King, a resident of Schuylerville (Saratoga County), and senior partner of Kings-Ransom Farm, LLC in Saratoga County.
- Matthew W. Rand, a resident of Clarkstown (Rockland County), and a Managing Partner of Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty and Rand Commercial Services.
- Susan E. Savage, Assistant Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Real Property Tax Services serves as the Acting Secretary of the State Board.