Skip universal navigation
Skip to main content

Department of Taxation and Finance

Register for the STAR credit

When will I receive my 2018 STAR credit check?

See our STAR check delivery schedule page for updated information on when we will begin to issue checks in your area.

Handout for new homeowners

Realtors and attorneys, as your clients purchase new homes, we encourage you to provide them with this printable one-page handout: Register for the School Tax Relief (STAR) credit.

If you’ve recently bought your home or you’ve never applied for the STAR benefit on your current home, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year. You only need to register for the STAR credit once, and you’ll continue to receive the annual benefit as long as you’re eligible.

STAR exemption recipients: You don’t need to register with New York State for STAR if you’re a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption. If you’re a senior citizen who has been receiving the Basic STAR exemption and has become eligible for the Enhanced STAR exemption, you should apply with your local assessor. For more information, see STAR Exemption Program.

Already registered for the STAR credit? Unless there’s been a change in ownership, please do not register again. We’ll review your information every year and automatically send you a STAR credit check if you’re eligible.

Are you eligible?

If you own your home, it’s your primary residence, and your income is $500,000 or less, you’re eligible for the Basic STAR credit.

If you’re a senior citizen with a qualifying income, you may be eligible for the Enhanced STAR credit.

For more information, see STAR eligibility.

STAR credit checks

When you register for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will automatically review your application to determine whether you’re eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. As long as you’re eligible, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your benefit.

Senior citizens: If you qualify for the Enhanced STAR credit, you only need to register once. If you qualify for Enhanced STAR, you’ll automatically receive a check for the Enhanced benefit. You don’t need to register again in future years.

Note: If you’re a senior citizen, you should also be aware that there is a senior citizens exemption that may reduce your property tax bill if you qualify. This exemption has different income limits than STAR, and is administered by local assessors, not by the Tax Department. See Senior citizens exemption to learn more.

Before you register

Before you start, have the following information at hand for reference. If you don’t have the necessary information, you won’t be able to save the registration to complete at a later time.

  • names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses 
  • the primary residence of the owners and their spouses 
  • approximate date the owners purchased the property and the name of the sellers 
  • 2017 school tax bill, if the current owners received one (View examples.)
  • address of any residential property owned in another state 
  • the legal name of the trust, if applicable 
  • 2016 federal or state income tax returns for all owners
    Note: If you weren’t required to file a 2016 income tax return, you will need the following information for all property owners:
    • total wages, salaries, and tips;
    • taxable interest income and dividends;
    • unemployment compensation;
    • total pensions and annuities;
    • Social Security benefits; and
    • other income.

After you submit your registration, print a copy of the confirmation page and note your confirmation number. You’ll need it for verification purposes if you contact us later. If you provide your email address, you’ll receive an email with your confirmation code.

Note: You will be prompted to provide a Property Key, but it is not required to complete the registration.


Primary residence

Some factors that help determine whether a property is your primary residence include:

  • voting,
  • vehicle registrations, and
  • length of time spent each year at the property.

The Tax Department may also request proof of residency.