Apply for an extension of time to file an income tax return
If you cannot file on time, you can request an automatic extension of time to file the following forms.
- Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-203-GR, Group Return for Nonresident Partners Note: Group agents must enter the special identification number assigned to the partnership (i.e., group ID 80081XXXX) in the Full Social Security number field.
- Form IT-204, Partnership Return
- Form IT-205, Fiduciary Income Tax Return
When to file
You must file your extension request on or before the filing deadline of your return.
You may no longer get an extension of time to file a 2018 income tax return if your filing due date was March 15, 2019 or April 15, 2019.
However, taxpayers with special filing deadlines may be able to get an extension of time to file their 2018 income tax returns.
An extension request filed after the filing deadline for your return will be invalid.
|Filer||Return||2018 Filing Deadline for Calendar Year Filers||Length of Extension||Extended Due Date|
|Individual||Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-203-GR||April 15, 2019||6 months||October 15, 2019|
|Partnership||Form IT-204||March 15, 2019||6 months||September 16, 2019|
|Fiduciaries||Form IT-205||April 15, 2019||5 1/2 months||September 30, 2019|
Payment of tax
You must make full payment of the properly estimated tax balance due when you request your extension of time to file.
- Form IT-370, Application for Automatic Six-Month Extension of Time to File for Individuals
- Form IT-370-PF, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File for Partnerships and Fiduciaries