Apply STAR credit guidelines to your tax billing process
School tax bill processors
Before the processing of school tax bills
The law enacting the STAR credit requires school tax bill processors to add language to the bills for credit recipients.
New this year, the 2017-18 Enacted New York State Budget included changes to the language on the tax bill. The bills will no longer include the amount of the STAR credit check. As a result, school tax bill processors no longer need to calculate the amount of the STAR savings for STAR credit recipients.
The language on the tax bill will read:
An estimated STAR check will be mailed to you upon issuance by the NYS Tax Department. Any overpayment or underpayment can be reconciled on your next tax return or STAR credit check.
Note that because tax bills no longer include the dollar amount of the STAR credit, there is no need to indicate whether the property owner will receive the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. As such, only the 99999 code is necessary to designate property owners who will receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit.
To avoid taxpayer confusion, do not include any information regarding the STAR credit in the levy column.
Homeowners cannot receive both a STAR credit and a STAR exemption. If both appear on a bill, please correct it.
Instructions for RPSV4 users
Designate each parcel that will receive the STAR credit marker code 99999.
The marker code will not be displayed on the tax bill, but will be used only to trigger the language cited above.
- Users of RPS160D1 and the FoxPro Tax Bill Print Utility: An update will be provided to you to accommodate the new tax bill language.
- Users of RPS155D1 or the combination of RPS145D1/RPS995T1: Examine parcel exemption data for the presence of STAR credit marker code 99999.
- Users of RPS160D1 and third-party tax billing software packages: Examine parcel exemption data for the presence of “marker literal STAR Check” (RPS160D1 does not carry exemption codes).
Instructions for users of other assessment administration software
Each parcel that will receive the STAR credit should be designated with either STAR credit code 99999 or STAR credit description STAR Check.
Neither the code nor description will be displayed on the tax bill, but will be used only to trigger the language noted above.
It’s the responsibility of the school tax bill processor to ensure that the correct language appears on tax bills for homeowners receiving the STAR credit.
For information specific to RPSV4 file maintenance or FoxPro tax billing software, contact the RPS Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org.
School tax bill processors using third-party tax billing software packages may contact email@example.com. Do not send your tax bill data files to this address. Please direct other questions to your ORPTS Regional Liaisons.
- STAR Credit Implementation Guide
- Step-by-step guide to the STAR credit process
- Contact information for local officials
- Timelines for local officials: