Assessor's Manual, Volume 4, ExemptionAdministration
Section 4.01 - RPTL Section 487-a
Energy Conservation Improvements to
Certain Residential Premises
Exemption Code(s): 49510 Year Originally Enacted: 1977
Related Statutes: Pub Serv L §135-b
SUMMARY: Energy conservation measures added to a one-, two-, three-, or four-family home that qualify for (1) financing under a home conservation plan pursuant to Pub Serv L Article VII-A or (2) any conservation-related state or federal tax credit or deduction are exempt from taxation and special ad valorem levies to the extent of any increase in the property's assessed value resulting from the installation of such measures. Such property is liable for special assessments.
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Ownership Requirements: Property must be owned by a private individual or organization.
- Property Location Requirements: None.
- Property Use Requirements: Eligible improvements include those qualifying for financing under a home conservation plan pursuant to Pub Serv L Article VII-A: caulking and weatherstripping of all exterior doors and windows; furnace efficiency modifications; furnace and boiler retrofits; furnace and boiler replacements, provided that such replacements meet minimum efficiency standards; heat pumps that meet minimum efficiency standards; clock thermostats; ceiling, attic, wall, foundation, air duct, heating pipe, and floor insulation; hot water heater insulation; storm and thermal windows and doors; solar and wind systems; load management devices and energy use meters, together with associated wiring. Also eligible are any improvements qualifying for any conservation-related state or federal tax credit or deduction.
- Certification by State or Local Government: None required.
- Required Construction Start Date or Other Time Requirement: None.
- LOCAL OPTION: No.
- LIMITATION ON EXEMPTION:
1. Amount Yes* Yes* Yes* No
2. Duration No
3. Taxing Jurisdiction a. County or County
Ex NA Ex Tax b. City Ex NA NA Tax c. Town or Town
Ex NA Ex Tax d. Village Ex NA NA Tax e. School District NA Ex NA NA Ex-Exempt Tax-Taxable NA-Not Applicable
* Amount limited to any increase in the property's assessed value due to the installation of energy conservation measures.
- PAYMENTS IN LIEU OF TAXES: None required.
- CALCULATION OF EXEMPTION:
- General Municipal and School District Taxes: Increase in assessed value due to installation of energy conservation measures.
- Special Ad Valorem Levies and Special Assessments:
Special Ad Valorem Levies: Increase in assessed value due to installation of energy conservation measures.
Special Assessments: No exemption allowed.
- CODING OF EXEMPTION ON ASSESSMENT ROLL:
Code Description of Alternative Codes Possible 49510
Assessment Roll Section(s): Taxable (RPS Section 1).
NOTE: This code should not be used to identify property that is exempt under any of the statutes listed under Similar Exemptions below. For coding of such property, see the Exemption Profile for the statute that applies.
- FILING REQUIREMENTS (Owner or Occupant of Property): None.
- REPORTING REQUIREMENTS (Assessor): None.
- SIMILAR EXEMPTIONS:
Subject Statute Solar, wind, or farm waste energy systems RPTL §487
Please send general questions or comments to Orpts Solutions Center.